Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Turkey Day



Thanksgiving has been a strange affair for our little family these past years. I think maybe the first year we were married we had a "normal" Turkey Day including the customary early morning turkey bowl, hot showers, early Thanksgiving dinner that was closer to a lunch, naps, football, and eating all the day. Those were what I grew up with and what I always think of when I imagine this special Thursday in November. However, then comes the alteration of the universe and the end of the traditional Thanksgiving as I knew it.

Spencer's family has a tradition of eating up at a lodge in the mountains for Thanksgiving. My FIL does it because it turns out to be cheaper for him to pay for the family there than to have my MIL cook the meal. And I think it saves both of their sanity as well. It is fun, really it is. The food is exceptional. But guess what?!? NO LEFTOVERS! No lounging around for foot ball. Just gathering, eating, and departing. That is something very hard for this used-to-picking-at-leftovers-and-taking-all-freaking-day kind of Thanksgiving girl.

But it was all good, because we still had my parent's tradition every other year, so I could cope. Then guess what happens, the universe alters once more. My family starts a new tradition of caravaning down to St. George for Thanksgiving where we stay in a hotel for a few days and eat at the Chuck-A-Rama. Yep, that's what I said. I couldn't believe it!!! Now both Turkey Day traditions involve NOT being at home for Thanksgiving and NOT having any Thanksgiving leftovers--at least not the real kind. Instead we have to prep for leftovers by buying them at the store the day before, so technically they are first-overs.

I'll admit, these changes sort of bummed me out, A LOT. I loved my usual Thanksgiving. I loved over-sized paper plates. I wanted to set up the long tables and gather everyone around. I craved my Nana's pumpkin pies. I yearned for the little shrimp cocktails and not having to peel the shells off those little buggers. I wanted football, and sweatpants, and afternoon naps before being up for round two. Now those traditions are gone.

But enough pouting--these new traditions are just new and will become the traditions I yearn for, I'm sure. It is just as fun to get family together, just as warming to share a meal, talk, and be together. During this time there is still a lot, if not much much more, for me to be thankful for and express that gratitude. It is Thanksgiving after all, whether or not traditional leftovers are involved. And I still eat way more than I ever, ever should and ride the turkey tryptophan vibes straight through winter hibernation.

This year was In Laws year, so Blake and I took the jaunt up the canyon while poor, poor Spencer had to work. We missed him, but were happy to come home and share the evening with him. He works so hard, one thing in particular I am so, so thankful for every day.

      





      

No comments: