Friday, November 18, 2011

Sleep Time Serenade

Early this morning, 2 a.m. to be exact, I fed baby, diapered him, and put him back down to rest peacefully. This ritual usually lasts about thirty minutes and by the time he is all done and settled I am more awake than I have been for those thirty minutes. So I was sitting up, listening to the soundtrack of the night. For me this is a symphony of snores.

Papa provides the bass line. I have grown to love his low, raspy snore. It is one of the most reassuring noises when I wake up in the middle of a pitch dark night. One thing I learned while sleeping alone in our house was how afraid and worked up I can get at night. That was stressful and I really began to hate all that time by myself. Now, knowing my Superman is here, snoring away beside me, is a huge comfort. His snores start off slow and low, the sound I fall asleep to nightly now that he has moved to the day shift. Though sometimes his snorts make me laugh, most of the time they make me feel safe and protected.

Providing another familiar tenor is P.Potts. She has a wheezy, snuffly kind of snore that leaks quietly from the kennel at night. She can whine and grump, but nothing is more endearing than her snore. I also love when she has puppy dreams and whimpers in her sleep. Baby has been quite an adjustment for her, but she is doing so well. She misses having Spence and I all to herself, but she likes having a curious little newbie to watch over. She has developed a routine whenever she returns to our room. Papa will let her in and she runs upstairs. First she checks on me, then she checks the pack n' play to make sure baby is in there.

Finally, there is the new addition himself. His little snorts and snores harmonize perfectly with the rest of our growing family. Having him near the bed was originally one of the scariest things I have ever experienced. Our first night I swear I couldn't sleep a wink because he made no noise at all. His breathing was imperceptible and I kept checking on him every minute. Now when he makes his sleepy noises I can rest more easily, though I do feel bad for his poor wheezing sometimes.

Granted, 2 a.m. is very early for me, but I don't mind those not so quiet moments of snoring before I snuggle back into the blankets and join them. It is so cozy in our room these days with all four of us spending all this time together. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Love this. You write so beautifully, London. I also feel safe when I hear dave's snore...then I want to roll him over when it keeps me awake!

And the quiet sleeping baby, I SO remember that. I was sure Alex had stopped breathing. Man, I missed a lot of sleep worrying.

Rachel said...

He is such a dreamy little thing. I could've held him all night long. So glad I could have some snuggle time with him.