Saturday, October 30, 2010

What a Trick to Trunk or Treat


Dear Neighborhood Trunk or Treat,
Honestly, I love you very much, but you can be a bit unpredictable sometimes.
That can be hard on the activities planner.
But we were ready for you.
At least, partly ready.
The rest we just sort of winged it.
Or would that be broomsticked?

Sign ups were no problem--went around for four weeks.
People were eager and I was so pleased.
Chili: we had 30 people.
Pie: we had 27 people.
Cornbread: we had 15 people.
Other Treats: we had 13 people.
A sincere thank you to all those who helped out.
Anyone who left hungry, that was their own fault.
Becuase they were in a room full of delicious.
The pie table was fully loaded.
Probably my favorite table of all.
And who can blame me?
The rows and rows of delicious chili.
You can bet we didn't run out.
Luckily we didn't have that much left over either.
Seriously? Do I really need more bowls?
What!? There are no more seats left?
These were just two of the many shockers.
We had an AMAZING turn out this year.
Neighbors who don't usually come to anything.
Yep, you guessed it. They showed!
And all my friendly neighbors.
They showed too!
To top it off.
My favorite part.
All the little kiddies in costume.
SO CUTE!
And yes, I include myself in the little kiddies catagory.
Sorry you had to see this again.
My brother was manning the camera.
You can bet Ruffnut gave him a good beat down after.
In the middle of the event I wanted to pull my plastic blonde wig hairs out.
Kids running.
No room for the games I tried to plan.
Runs for bowls, bowls, bowls.
No husband to run back up.
No music--again, not like I had planned.
Runs for tables and chairs, chairs, chairs.
No serving spoons.

However, at the end of the day I had a blast.
Running activities is something I was born to do, I think.
I love the neighbors and friends I have.
I love the kiddies and their crazy costumes.
I love yummy treats to share and steal to take home.
And I love Halloween.
But phew, I'm glad I have one whole year before it comes again.

Special thanks to:
Chili bringers.
Pie bringers.
Cookie bringers.
Cornbread bringers.
My little brother (Tuffnut that he is)
My older sister (The Wiggy Witch of the West)
My commity. You rock!
Spen for helping set up even though he had work.
And all who came!
Thankyou, and goodnight!

3 comments:

emlizalmo said...

It was an AWESOME night! Seriously! I agree...this is your calling in life. :)

Melissa Yergensen said...

It really was amazing and you DEFINITELY were born to plan and run activities. You did such a great job!

Rachel said...

It turned out awesome...and I never knew there were any 'hiccups' involved (no pun intended!). P.S. LOVED your costumes, since that is mine and Ethan's favorite movie at the moment. :)