These past two weeks were not good for me in the training department. I was lazy and slacky two weeks ago, and then last week I was sick. I can count the number of workouts on three fingers. Not a good thing, especially with the race in less than two weeks. So now I am back on the wagon and will have to work out at least five days of this week with lots of swimming involved, I hope. With the weather turning I am less and less motivated because swimming comes with one thing. Ok, two things: wet hair and pool stink. The wet hair will have to be carefully monitered because I do not want to get sick again. As for the stink--sorry coworkers and family, you will just have to deal.
So, since I don't have anything to report workout wise I thought I would take a moment and get some thoughts out about my upcoming race. Lately I have been thinking about why I felt so obligated to write about this on the blog. Was it beacuse I wanted attention? Nope, I do more outrageous things when I want attention, trust me. Was it because I wanted to experience the "journey" metaphor? Nope, though I do love a good literary device. So why exactly am I doing this then?
After some thinking I believe I have it figured out--accountability. Looking back to High School I have pictures and some other proof of all my hard work. I swam a usual total of at least three and a half hours every day, once from 5:30am until 7:00 and back again from 4:00pm until 6:00. I have ratty swimsuits, several swim caps, and a couple pairs of goggles. I have some meet results, metals, and pictures. I have state competition paraphernalia. So yes, I have some documentation, but I wish I had more. I have one, maybe two journal entries on the subject and a completely empty notebook where I was suppsoed to write down our workouts, but never did.
So I am doing it now. I am keeping a record. Not for friends, though they are welcome to look, and not for future generations, though they are welcome to read, but for myself. This way I can look back and think, wow, that was really tough. I was really tough. Now I know I can handle this little blip of emotional or physical or spiritual seismic activity no problem because look what I went through before. You may find yourself thinking, why are you making this public on your blog then you ninny, if it's just for you? Well, it's because I found this nifty little website/program that can turn my blog into a hardback. That's why. Because my handwriting is hideous, I never do anything with the Word documents I've compiled and intened to turn into a printed book, and because how cool would that be to have a journal that looks like a regular ole library volume? Super cool, I think. So there is the reasoning and here is the rhyme.
My race is in less than two weeks
And now my stomach, it creaks.
Will I be ready?
A race this heavy?
Where are my thermals and sneaks?
I might be overreacting.
My training not nearly exacting.
Three miles to run,
That doesn't sound fun.
Do I feel some pain in my hamstring?
I know I can do this racing.
I just have to work on my pacing.
The beat of my heart
Will get me to start
The rest will be up to my chasing.

3 comments:
I totally get the accountability concept. It helps me tremendously. I have found that even writing down my failures helps motivate me.
Get a nice combo of rest and exercise this week!! :)
You have a big week this week...putting together a fantastic night for all of us and our kids to enjoy. You deserve a little rest. :) P.S. Emma's birthday is the 28th. We'll be celebrating with her Thursday night and Friday morning. I'll call you when we're back to see how I can help. Plan on me cleaning up a bit with you. :)
So true! It's all about the accountability to yourself and just putting out there. I love the way you write, London, I can totally hear your voice and it's so unique and fun. BTW, I just turned my 2009 blog entries into a book and it turned out FABulous.
Post a Comment