Friday, April 10, 2015

Superhero in Training


Today our beloved library hosted a Superhero Training activity and Blakie was super excited to strap on his cape and attend. He loves nothing more than suiting up and vanquishing the bad guys around the house. So when I signed Superman and K.B. up for the class I couldn't help but wonder which hero my son would choose. There were so many costumes we had stashed in his trunk. Would it be Captain America, the good and muscular with his impenetrable shield? Or perhaps Hulk, green and menacing? Or maybe even "Micha'Angelo," the Ninja Turtle every loves and laughs with? All good choices in my book. But much to my surprise, none of these were who my son wanted to be. He wanted to be Baymax--from Big Hero 6.

I was surprised because Blakie, though he does love Baymax very much, has only seen the movie once. The 'Buki Man is just too scary. So Baymax was so not even on my radar and I had to come up with something quick so he could go to the Superhero Training dressed as his favorite superhero. So, with a puffy vest he got from the Disney Store, a hood from his winter coat, a white folder label, and a black felt tipped pen we were in business. He looked so cute and went off with his dad into the library while I waited out Sister's nap in the car.

When they came back out, both were very excited to tell me all about it. At first K.B. was shy around all the Supers inside. Turns out Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman and several others were all in attendance. I'll say that is pretty intimidating to a three year old. But he started to warm up when they all gave him the meaningful fistbump followed by a finger wiggle and, "bah-la-laaa-la-la." They all recognized him as Baymax, and that made my mommy heart sing. They had little classes and challenges for each little superhero. K.B. especially liked the obstacle course and completed it several times. He was the only Baymax there and nothing could have been more acceptable for my super little boy.

No comments: