
I say this with the utmost horror, because I am actually saying it, a lot. "People! We are potty training!"
Of all the things that I'd never thought I'd share in public, potty stuff has always been close to the top of my do not share list. It is the strangest situation I have found myself in as a mother thus far. How is it that suddenly I can so casually talk about bodily functions like this? Hmmm? Diapers were one thing, and newborn diapers especially. Talking about those was like no big deal. I wanted to know my baby was ok. I wanted to know what I should look for. When changes should happen. If he was healthy and hydrated. If I was nursing enough and producing enough. Turns out those diapers could say a lot, and so I said a lot about them myself in the beginning. Fortunately, soon after the routine and some normalcy and my new mommy jitters subsided the topic of pee and poop was omitted once more from my everyday conversation starters. Now though, they are back with a vengeance! "How many times has your toddler gone today?" "Did you train with a little potty or the big one?" "Should I be worried if he still hasn't pooped yet?" Good grief, can someone please muzzle this crazy potty training mommy so we can all stop with the potty talk?
Anyways, aside from the weirdness and necessity of potty talk and things I never thought I'd be asking friends and family, the boy is taking to this new routine like a champ. I have to say that though right? Or else go completely out of my mind. To prep for these three full days of training we had big boy undies, a seat, a stool, a timer, a sticker chart, and lots and lots of rewards. First of all, I love giving him things. It is just the spoiler in me coming out in full force at times like these. So he gets stickers for just sitting down on the potty for a full 5 minutes, treats for actually going peeps in the potty, and a full on die castCars toy for going poops. Also, because I am a bit of a nut, we picked a theme. It has everything to do with Lightening McQueen of course, even down to the wall decals in the bathroom. I decided on the 3 day training method with a few individualized tweaks.
We started with one little naked bum running around the house and just the regular potty with a seat and stool. During naps and bedtime the kid still gets his diaper, because he is still pretty wet in the mornings. Then, once we had a 50/50 success and failure rate we would try the underwear. I decided to start potty training because he is very consistent, he knows what he is doing and talks about it, and he isn't afraid to just sit on the big potty. I was nervous, excited, and dreading those three days. The thought of changing two sets of diapers spurred me on though. Here is our inventory.
We started with one little naked bum running around the house and just the regular potty with a seat and stool. During naps and bedtime the kid still gets his diaper, because he is still pretty wet in the mornings. Then, once we had a 50/50 success and failure rate we would try the underwear. I decided to start potty training because he is very consistent, he knows what he is doing and talks about it, and he isn't afraid to just sit on the big potty. I was nervous, excited, and dreading those three days. The thought of changing two sets of diapers spurred me on though. Here is our inventory.
Day 1
Accidents x 3 (seemed like more when I had to clean carpet, cushions, and couches)
Sat Down x 10
Peeps x 1 (at the very end of the day, and mostly on his hands, but HOORAY!)
Poops x 0
Day 2
Accidents x 2
Sat Down x 15
Peeps x 4 (we had a couple accidents turned into sitting down and two full on success)
Poops x 0
Day 3 (Start the Undies)
Accidents x 2 (only during timeout, ugh! Scream crying will do that I guess, so my fault)
Sat Down x 12
Peeps x 4 (full on success, aka no messes for mommy and tells me he has to go)
Poops x 0
Since then we have ventured out to Target, church and my parents' house all wearing underwear and using the other bathrooms. At home he does so great and hardly ever misses. If he does he immediately stops and can get all the way upstairs to the bathroom. In fact, his bladder control is such that we need to take a couple of sit downs before he actually goes again. Sometimes I even just run his hands under the water after he sits for a while. That works like a charm. All other outings have proven reasonably successful too, much to my relief.
Target was our biggest disaster, of course. We stop in the restroom first thing upon arrival, we check out the potty, and I told him that if he needed to go he should tell me. We talk it over several times while running quickly down the few aisles I wanted. He was happily standing, riding on end of the cart and reassured me he did not need to peeps. We grabbed chips, and cake, and donuts--that was all, and yes, I know, very bad for your but sometimes pregnancy and birthday celebrations demands it. Turned out the donuts were his undoing. The excitement! I may have had to wipe up the floor with the disinfectant wipes I now constantly carry, but it was only a little. Not really sure what to do at that point I had him walk around in his wet things, making him pretty uncomfortable, while I checked out. Then we went back into the bathroom and changed him into fresh undies and shorts. During the process I talked to him about how it didn't feel good to have wet undies and how he probably didn't want to do that again. He agreed. We washed and went on our way.
Ever since then we have only had minor, very very minor incidents. He will suddenly get this look on his face, glance at his shorts, and say "Eh, I needa go potty." It makes me beam with pride and makes all the other fifteen trips to the potty worth it when it works just one time. He still asks to sit on the potty and get his stickers a million times a day, even when he really doesn't have to go. Every time he asks I stop what I am doing and take him up to the bathroom and set the timer. If he sits patiently for the full 5 then he gets his sticker. If he realizes he doesn't want to sit then he gets off and I tell him we will try again another time. No stickers. Hey, at least I am getting my exercise for the day and he gets more and more comforatble with his new throne. I am still waiting for the big #2. Eek! I'm afraid we have that last accident to conquer before we fully master the toilet. But all in all this has been a good potty training experience for us and perfect for my boy who really likes his routines. And this concludes my potty talk. Phew! It was longer than expected, but totally worth documenting this familial success.
Bonus is that his little bum looks so dang cute in those little undies. I loved diaper bum, but this just might be the top. Boy undies and skinny legs. Perfect for jumping off the bed.


No comments:
Post a Comment