
He settled down as soon as he saw me, but wouldn't drop off. That is even more rare than the screaming. So I rocked him and held him in his room a while. Then, I laid him in his crib and rubbed his belly. Then I laid down on the floor, slipped my hand through the slats and kept rubbing his belly. To no avail. The minute I moved or went to leave the crying started once more. It had been an hour or coddling and it wasn't getting us anywhere. So we went downstairs.
We climbed into our favorite corner of the couch. We watched Pride and Prejudice, the one with Keria Knightly. He was up until five-o-clock, nearly doing me in with exhaustion. He wasn't sitting still. He was quiet, but he was squirming. It was a sleepy wrestling match between us. As soon as he dropped off I heard Spence get in the shower and start getting ready for work. So I took baby boy upstairs, laid him in the crib, and returned to my lovely bed ready to crash. Didn't matter though.
Before Spencer was even out of the shower the boy was howling again. So I got up, returned to his room, got him up, changed his diaper, and just sat rocking him. When Spence left we went back into the bedroom and finally we slept. We slept only until eight-o-clock.
Technically it was 8 hours of sleep total, but it felt as good as none. My back was sore from the downstairs couch. My eyes were itchy and scratchy. I probably growled at one point. Needless to say, I was not at my best.
However, I got up, resigned to be grateful. I am so thankful for this baby boy; that he is mine and I am his. He truly is an easy kid. He is SO good most of the time. He sleeps, he eats, and he plays. He is smart and charismatic. This night was just one small moment, the tiniest pieces of time in the grand scheme. I am thankful for the chance to hold him while he isn't feeling well. I am thankful to cuddle and do my best to make him feel better. Yes, I am grateful for this sleepless night we shared. Look at that face! How could I not be truly grateful to Heavenly Father for that gift.





1 comment:
London, You are an AWESOME mom! Love your story, pictures. I'm going to share this link with Laurie... we can relate to all those feelings.
Post a Comment