Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Avenging Halloween


For Halloween this year we decided to dress up as The Avengers! It was just too good an opportunity to pass up with the new movie that came out. We also found the cutest little Thor costume online that gave us great inspiration. So the home made costume making began. Mostly I already had all the stuff I needed to be Black Widow, aside from the red hair. Spence just needed my dads bow and, bam, he is Hawkeye. That left Tio to make his own Captain America and me to turn our Blakie into Thor. 

I have completed a few hand made costumes in the past, but this one was different. This one was miniature. This one was supposed to be recognizable. This one was for my baby's last first. (Because he was born on the day after Halloween you see.) I was a tad intimidated at first and procrastinated the day of my costume making until about two days before Halloween. 

I found and purchased the red cape for $5 at Walmart. Honestly I couldn't pass it up. Then I found a grey little onesie with snaps at Savers and it didn't have anything else on it. For $3 it was practically begging me to buy it. Then I simply spray painted one of my skinny belts yellow, found some grey leggings in the girls section of Target, tugged on his moon boots, and G.G. got him a hammer. I sewed some felt circles on his onesie, that was really the extent of my hand made crafting skills. Then I simply made his paper helmet from a template on Disney's website and we had our Thor. It turned out pretty darn spectacular if I do say so myself. He didn't love the hat, big surprise, but we slid it on over a beanie when it got cold and he tolerated it while we were walking around the neighborhood. 



Avengers assemble!

No comments: