It is always around this time of year that I feel the need to reflect. Crazy malls, busy streets, and lights blinking in all direcitons. Just make it all stop! Christmas is coming at me too fast. It seems every time I check, another week has flown by and here I am, not even two weeks away from the big day, and completely unprepared. I haven't gotten all the presents, I haven't decorated the house, I haven't even broken out the snow boots and winter coat yet. To top it off, this year we have no little kids in the house. There won't be anxious little bodies trying to sleep or sneak peeks at Santa. It all turns me into a big, fat Scrooge.
So what am I doing, wasting the season like this? It is shameful. I need to get back in the Christmas Spirit and we all know that the fastest way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all too hear. Woops, wrong story. I meant, the fastest way to get out of a Scroogey funk is getting a visit from the Ghost of Christmas Past. So imagine some slightly spooky music while these words fade from your eyes in a misty fog.
Music ends, and here we are, Christmas when I was about three. In this photo, listed from left to right, we have my cousin Steph, my sister K, my cousin Josh, and me, the little blonde caboose. Did you ever have this kind of Christmas? I mean, look at us. Who cares what is inside that box as long as I can fit when it is empty. We were well occupied with these coardboard boxes and found them the most fun toys in the world right then. Way to keep things simple kiddos.
Next we have me in the green tuque with green bobble, sitting on my dad's lap. This looks like the same year. My mom doesn't lable the back of the photos like a normal person, so you can never be too sure. Please note on the Xmas Tree all the pull toy ornaments. This is a tradition my dad started and one I can't get enough of. Each year the kids get a new Christmas Ornament for the tree. They are all so random aside from their arms and legs moving when you yank on the string, but I love them. Every year, when these get put up, I go back through and find all of my ornaments marked with the year and my name. Another great thing about Christmas would have to be traditions. I love them!
Finally, one really great thing about Christmas is all the time you get to spend with the family. Here it is about 1990 and we went to Canada to celebrate with my mother's family. I an the little one in the blue sweater and cool sneaks. Some of my fondest Christmas memories are on my Grandpa's ranch. The snow can get higher than your eyes out there. It was so nice to cram all of the family into the house, cozy and warm. I remeber all the grandkids snuggling in for their long winter's nap on the living room floor and counting the clock chimes through the whole night. We would start giggling and one of the adults would come over and warn us about Santa skipping this house if kids were awake. Such great times together. Please let me get back to that.
So, with Christmas present soon upon me, I hope to get some Christmas Tickle back before it arrives. In the mean time I should probably get some decorations up. That should cheer me up quite a bit.



No comments:
Post a Comment