Since I was over the neighborhood Trunk or Treat the night before, I decided to run away from my house on the night of Halloween. I was sad to miss out on my cute neighborhood kids, but I think I was out of candy and didn't want to disappoint. That, and opening the door to some strangers without my husband home felt like a bad idea.
So, I packed up my costume and my little dragon and hit the road. It was a rainy, puddly, very drippy road. I have to say that I don't feel bad about abandoning my handing out of candy post that night. Rain and Halloween are only a good combination when you have a place to go that is warm and full of people. I had so much fun hanging out with my family and seeing friends from the home neighborhood. It is probably one of my top three most favorite things to do on Halloween. Pepper likes it too, so she was happy to come along, even wearing the rediculous wings we sprayed black.
Linc and I decided to be Ruffnut and Tuffnut for Halloween. This all started when Spen and I were going to be characters from How to Train Your Dragon. Much to my disappointment, Spen had to work for the Trunk or Treat and through the whole weekend. So that wasn't going to work. Hence, plan B (aka lil brother). I can always count on him in times of distress. He is the funniest, sweetest, and most obnoxious brother a girl could have--and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Turned out the costumes were a hit. Not only did all the kids love us at the Trunk or Treat, but they all knew who we were. At least, when we were standing by eachother they knew. "Hey," they would say to us when whe rushed passed grabbing chairs and spoons and bowls, "You're those guys from How a Train a Dragon!" I smiled everytime they said that to us.
I think I owe all of my Halloween lovin' to my dad. Growing up he would go all out on Halloween. I've seen him as a Black Power Nerd when we were Power Rangers, Robin Hood with tights and all, Mad Eye Moody, A Cat Burgler, A Housewife Caught in a Hurricane, Captain of the Titanic, and so many more. He will sometimes deck out the entryway with a scene to make the ambiance all the more believeable. We have been to Hogwarts, the Arctic, the BBQ, and this year we traveled to Jamaica. Ok, so he didn't have time to deck out the entry, but he did a bang up job on his costume mahn with Bob Marley playing in the background. Of course, the music was competeing with the Ute game, but hey, he was still dressed up. In fact, his costume was so good that when he went to his BYU ward's dance very few of the students recognized him as their bishop.
On Halloween I have a handful of traditions that I hope to carry on. One is visiting one of my home neighbors who always has a bonfire and fresh scones. Yummy, and perfect for those colder nights. I visit them every year. In the future, if I can't visit my Teddy Graham Gran'ma I hope to take up the tradition in their honor. Also, I think if it is raining that Trick or Treating should be suspended. Instead we sould all congregate in someone's house with hot chocolate, yummy treats, costumes, moveis, and board games. That sounds like more fun to me.
I also think chili or Papa Murphy's is a must on Halloween. Sorry folks, I don't plan to change my ways unless you bribe me with yummy fall dessert. So, next year, if it rains again, feel free to come and start a party at my house. I have excellent (non scary) halloween movies, tons of board and card games, and plenty of nooks and crannies to hide candy in so that instead of getting cold and soaked your candy stays nice and dry while your kiddes stay warm too. Yep, it sounds like a deal. So pray for rain next year too. Hope all had a Happy Halloween. I know I did.
1 comment:
I like your version of Halloween MUCH better! I'm all for staying indoors with games and yummy food. :)
Post a Comment