Friday, July 23, 2010

Lagoon, Finally!


I don’t know about any of you, but I am seriously, dangerously in love with theme parks. Mmmmm hmmmm. I can ride roller coasters, eat cotton candy, and get soaked all day long. Hang me upside down, flip me to and fro, rocket launch me straight up only to plunge straight down--go ahead! It will make my day.

When I was 8 my aunt took me and a friend of mine to Lagoon and I rode the Fire Dragon 10 times right in a row. Back then I wanted to be one of the roller coaster captains that got to pull levers and speak into the P.A. system to tell people to “keep their arms and legs inside the ride at all times. Hold onto your hats, hold onto your lunch, don’t stand up, and enjoy the ride!” Then cackle wildly while the unsuspecting riders passed by my little plastic windowed booth. Luckily I chose a different career, but I still love to hit the rides 10 times in a row.

Well this last year, (aka 2009) I didn’t go to a single theme park and my heart was broken. I wanted to go so so bad, but trying to graduate and get school done and out of the way we simply didn’t have enough time. I was seriously crushed, having missed out on my theme park summer fun.

Fortunately this year we were able to find a day where not only Spence and I could visit Lagoon, but we could take along my Aunt D., Sister K., and Brother L. It was perfect. The weather was not blistering hot once we went on Rattle Snake Rapids, the lines weren’t toooo long, and we got in with discounted tickets. Could you really ask for more? I think not!

We started off with the Pirate Ship. You know the one—it swings back and forth, and back and forth. The pit of your stomach drops to your toes and you feel like you will lift right out of your seat. Well, we sat near the middle because Sister K wasn’t so sure this was the ride she wanted to start with. Turns out she did great, but there was a little girl across from us who didn’t have such a good run. Her face was screwed up in horror the entire time and she had to clap onto her dad while her face turned white as a sheet. Poor thing. I think she was already done, and it was only noon. Then we did the Colossus and Wild Mouse and a couple others, but the day got hot fast so we walked the distance to find a place to cool off.

This is us standing in line for Rattle Snake Rapids.
Be sure to pack away all your technology into plastic baggies cause you are gettin wet on this ride
This is us on the ride. Please note we are all dry
Except for this joker who looks like he wet his pants.
This is us after the ride.
We got just a smidge wet, but it felt good and didn’t take long at all for us to dry.

Here we are sitting in a test cart for one of the newer rides. Sister K voted “nay” to going on the actual ride.
Linc and I did Jet Star 2. Its just as rickety and whiplashy as ever. Spen had to sit this one out because there were only two allowed per seat and no one could go by themselves.
There is a section here I just have to write about because it’s too good to just pass over, even though, sadly, I have no picture to show. Kels decided that the Tilt A Whirl looked like something she needed to try. Now I for one, hardly ever get sick on rides. In high school I think I rode this Whirl and Hurl about five times in a row with little discomfort. So I tackled this ride with little effort. Brother L. on the other had, suffered through miserably. The ride started with much whooping and cawing, but about three tilts and a whirl later the whooping turned to wheezing. I couldn’t help but laugh as his smile turned to a grimace. Also, I think the ride controller person thought it was funny and let the ride last a bit longer than usual. Linc walked off on wobbly legs and I could see he wanted to give the Tilt A Whirl a good verbal thrashing while he teetered down the exit ramp. He will think twice before eating popcorn chicken and hitting the Whirl the next time we visit Lagoon.

Next we were getting hot again so we stopped and splashed around in some of the fountains they had there.
Kels and I did the Merry Go Round and she picked the sleigh. Unfortunately when I turned around there was a pig butt right in my face making the view a little less than satisfactory. Who wants to ride a pig on the Merry Go Round? I mean, really?!
Sister K has perfected the Priness Wave.
And finally this is us just before we started for home—bedraggled, tired, but still smiling wide.
Oh dear, precious Lagoon. You hold a tender place in my adolescent heart and I cannot wait til I return to thee.



No comments: