Friday, November 8, 2013

Fighting Ear Infections


Well folks, it hit right after his birthday and it was not pretty. This kid was sick--fever, cough, runny nose kind of sick. It makes me sad, makes me feel so helpless. The only upside to sick baby boys is all the cuddling that happens. Otherwise it is completely miserable.

At first he was just warm. Spence took him to church, but came right back after Sacrament meeting because the boy was not looking good. We rested most of the day and gave him some Tylenol so his temperature would go down. Next day, things were worse. Temp was still a steady high and the kid was lethargic all day. Despite the fact that I knew something was wrong, it wasn't alarming and there were really no other symptoms, so we just watched, monitored the temp, and waited. Finally, by the third morning, the ear ache became clear. The boy would cough, then hold his ear and say, "Mama, kissess." He wanted me to kiss his aching ear and make it better. I kissed it a thousand times, praying I could. 

Luckily we already had an appointment to see the doc that morning and he just confirmed my suspicious: infection in both ears, a pretty bad one. Doc actually said, "ouch," when he looked inside baby boys ear. Doc got us some meds to kill the infection. We picked up the prescription and a get-well-soon present in the form of a Superman Book before heading back home and holing up for the next few days. 

The boy is on the mend, thankfully, and back to playing with his cars and superheros. He isn't quite as spry just yet, his nose is still stuffed, but I think his ears are good. They no longer feel warm and he doesn't seem bothered by them. He is not back on his regular sleeping schedule just yet, and the time change didn't help, but I know we will get there. I am just so thankful to have my little boy back. I am thankful for modern medicine and a doctor I love and trust. I am thankful for concerned family and friends, for their love, support, and words of comfort. I am just plain thankful. 

What a humbling way to start off this month of gratitude. I have so, so much to be thankful for and if you want to see just how much follow my Instagram and share in the #thankfulnovember gratitude list.

No comments: