Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Greener-y

So glad that Spring should officially 'bee' here--even though the weather isn't acting like it. I have never really considered myself a gardener, but the truth is I am truly, madly, deeply in love with plants. Just out of high school I worked in a small, locally owned landscaping business. I spent the whole summer mowing lawns, planting flowers, laying stepping stones, and pulling weeds--and loved every minute of it. Not only did I learn how to work a severe farmer's tan into my daily fashion statement; I also stayed in shape, hawling those mowers up and down those ritzy hills day in and day out.

Honestly though, I think my green thumb 'stems' from all those years of watching the neighbors' plants while they went on vacation. At my house we didn't have luxurious hanging baskets of flowers that needed to 'bee' watered each and every day. So when I would take care of the neighbors houses they taught me how to tend to not only the hanging baskets, but the flower beds and even some veggie gardens. I vowed that when I grew up my garden would 'bee' just like theirs. Too bad I'm not there just yet, but at least I have a foundation. So thank you next door neighbors who took legnthy vacations and left your tempermental flowers in my loving care, becasue of you I can now keep my own gardens alive--hopefully.

This year I've decided to 'branch' out and plant veggies in my back yard instead of the easy to tend climbing vines I have heretofore planted. My parents almost always had one of these veggie gardens out back and I am starting to miss pulling fresh lettuce for my sandwiches. So--fingers crossed people--here's to hopeing my green thumb is still alive and kicking.
I found this super cheap and easy way to start plants indoors on the Design*Sponge blog. Basically you fold a 'leaf' of newspaper hotdog style until its about 3" high and roll it around a small can of soup. Then you tie it with twine and shove a wad of newpaper into the bottom, packing it down tight. I used two sheets to make the cylider--makes it a little stronger. Supposedly you are able to plant these directly into the soil and therefore not disturb the fragile root system. Also, its recycling, and it's just plain cute. 'Seed' what I mean? So easy.
I filled the little pots with potting soil and planted my tomato seeds according to packet directions. Then I put them all on little coasters and keep them in the sun on my kitchen windowsil. I love checking on them every morning to see the slow, yet gratifying changes in my little sprouts.
Here is after the first week.
And here is after the second (same plant).

Looks like things are looking so far so good. It's exciting for me to have all that work paying off. Now, not only do I have little tomato sprouts, but I have seen green appreaing in the cups labeld "Cucumber" and "J. Pepper." I will probably have to wait a couple more weeks to plant these outside, but still, I'm 'blooming' with excitement. I feel like the little kid who just created a mud pie in the back yard. I need to drag every single person back there, fling my arms wide, and say with a muddy grin, "Looka what I did!"

Turns out I have a lot more work to do, however. The place where I want to plant is piled high with river rock right now. I need to move said annoying rock over to the other side of the house, but 'bee'fore I can do that I have to kill all the annyoing weeds on said other side of house.
You can see why this task might seem a little daunting. Not only do I have to deal with pesky, firmly rooted weeds, but I have to accomidate my "little helper." I dig with the shovel and pull the weeds out and shake off the loose dirt. Turns out my puppy likes to 'bee' put to work so she digs a little in the dirt, pulls at the leaves which she breaks off, then shakes them all over. She most definately isn't helping. In fact, she makes a big mess. Though I have to admit, it's cute, so I let her stay and help. Hopefully I will have some 'bee'fore and after back yard pics to show by the end of this month--again, as previously stated, FINGERS CROSSED!

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Pepper has always wanted to be Mamma's little helper.